The American Water Works Association (AWWA) just published the results of a survey on the level of progress in utility asset management. You can read about it here and download the survey results here.
Here are some highlights:
- Nearly three out of every four water utilities in North America do not have an asset management coordinator.
- Two thirds have no process in place to gauge the likelihood and consequences of their asset failures.
- 54% have a computerized system to store and organize asset information.
- Just about half – 49 percent – are doing something for vertical asset condition assessment.
- 52% of utilities have service level targets, but only 14 percent reported that they are measuring and communicating their progress regularly in relation to those targets.
- More than half of utilities have some risk ranking process in place; but only 10 percent of utilities have ranked more than half of their assets.